Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Review on Dieting & the Issue of Fasting

The internationally acclaimed author, Geoffery Cannon, released his contraversial book "Dieting makes you FAT" in 2008. His book urges people not to go on diets as he explains they "are part of the obesity problem." Cannon takes readers by the hand and discusses the principles of dieting, why people usually gain more than they lose, and how to really enjoy food without getting fat.

Overall his book is great - for those who haven't considered the basics of reducing their body fat (such as exercise and healthy eating) then this is a great first time "weight loss book." However, I do have a problem with Cannon's contradictory chapter on Fasting. It seems ironic that Cannon verbally bashes strict diet regimes but advocates fasting as a helpful and healthy weight management technique. Cannon suggets that everyone tries fasting now and then; but explains that it is a slow process and requires training and planning before restricting food intake for week(s) on end. Certainly, fasting requires thoughtful planning and research before it is carried out. Anyway, I find it odd that Cannon supports fasting when in my mind fasting is even more restrictive and short lived compared to a diet.

What are your thoughts on fasting? Have you tried it before successfully? I think properly done fasting is extremely effective. It reminds you of what you put into your body and how much you truly need. If you have a problem with portion control, fasting is a great tool to consider. Other "fasting style" techniques include: mono-food days, raw food day, water fasts, or juice fasts. Mono-food days are particularly effective for beginners to fasting. You simply choose a fruit or vegetable to consume all day. Each meal will be consist of this one food - hence "mono." The point? It's to remind your body of how much you truly need to eat to be sustained, and your body feels very in tune with what you are eating. Many of my friends do "mono-fruit Monday" just to remind themselves at the beginning of their week of their weight loss/management goals. I do not recommend carrying mono food days out for long; or embarking on them without proper research or support. If you want to hear more about fasting or mono fruit days I would recommend listening to one of Natasha's many helpful and extensive videos. They are extremely informative and interesting, see below:

10 comments:

  1. very nice blog with nice article..
    pls click below to visit my blog...

    http://bannedarea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think fasting depends 100% on the mindframe of the person. If they struggle with food whether its over eating or bulimia I can't see how fasting wouldn't worsen the problem because it is about discipline.

    With the right frame of mind fasting can be beneficial, it's a way of easing the stress on your digestive system, gives you mental clarity, allows you to focus on what you put into your body etc.

    I guess what I'm saying is it all depends on the mind frame of the individual.

    ~ Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mates, its fantastic post cοncerning
    tutοrіngand completеly defined, kеeρ it up all the
    time.

    Feel frеe tο surf to my weblog;
    Staff Motivation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll right away snatch your rss as I can't in finding your e-mail subsсriptіon link or neωѕletteг sеrviсe.

    Do yоu haνe any? Kindly allow me undeгstanԁ іn oгder that I may
    subsсrіbe. Thanκs.

    Feel free to surf to my sitе :: residential garage doors carriage

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He used to be entirely right. This put up actually
    made my day. You cann't imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my blog ... aching knee joints

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
    matter to be actually something that I think I would never
    understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.

    I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of
    it!

    Here is my web site; ask

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are considering weight loss surgery in Orange County, it is essential to know the various available Weight Loss Surgery options. We offer the latest in Bariatric Surgery procedures at our Bariatric Care Center California.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the admin of this website is genuinely working hard for his
    site, for the reason that here every information is quality based stuff.



    my blog post - Nutra Green Coffee and garcinia cambogia select

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm cuгious to finnd out what blߋg ѕystem you happen to
    be utilizing? I'm expеriencing some smal security
    issues with my latеst website and I would like to find something more securе.

    Do you have any solutions?

    My ԝeb bloǥ pure green coffee bean plus cleanse detox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seldom leave remarks, however I looked at a few of the responses on "Book Review on Dieting & the Issue of Fasting".

    I do have 2 questions for you if it's allright. Is it just me or do some of these remarks come across like they are written by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting on other places, I would like to keep
    up with you. Would you post a list of every one of your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?



    my page - Nutriberry slim health

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Questions? Add to the discussion? I'm only to pleased to hear your perspective!