Sunday, July 11, 2010

The city that never sleeps?

They say that New York is the city that never sleeps. We've got Broadway and clubs, and bustling streets with chic stores. But we've also got hotdog stands on every street corner and pizzeria or donought stores packed with people. So, lately I've started to think of a more fitting slogan for New York - the city that always eats. Which brings me to the question...can our immediate surroundings influence our eating habits?

I believe the answer is undeniably, yes. I also know that 80% of the time my eating habits are healthy, but when I'm around particular people or at a particular event my eating habits change drastically for the better, or worse. For instance, if I'm with my friend who is a dancer, we have an enjoyable time doing things that aren't focused on food. We shop, we talk, or we even go exercising together. However, when I'm with my friend who eats whatever she pleases and doesn't like exercise, it seems that my willpower to make healthy decisions dissolves. Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely impressionable. But it is harder to resist temptation when your around it.

My message? Consider who is holding you back from your own weight loss or healthy lifestyle decisions. At the end of the day, we are in control and we choose our own reality - but it certainly helps to have people around us that support and motivate us in these decisions.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely right... the new york is a dream city...

    pls click below to visit my blog...

    http://bannedarea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Questions? Add to the discussion? I'm only to pleased to hear your perspective!